A proxy server is a server that acts as an intermediary between a client and a server. It is used to filter requests and responses and to provide anonymity and security.
When a client sends a request to a server, it is first sent to the proxy server. The proxy server then forwards the request to the server and receives the response from the server. The proxy server then forwards the response to the client.
Proxy servers can be used for a variety of purposes, including:
- Caching: Proxy servers can be used to cache web pages and other resources. This can improve performance by reducing the number of requests that need to be made to the original server.
- Filtering: Proxy servers can be used to filter requests and responses. This can be used to block access to certain websites or content, or to protect users from malicious websites.
- Anonymity: Proxy servers can be used to provide anonymity to users. This is because the proxy server’s IP address is used instead of the user’s IP address when making requests to the server.
- Security: Proxy servers can be used to improve security by providing a layer of protection between the client and the server. This can be used to protect users from attacks such as man-in-the-middle attacks.
There are two main types of proxy servers:
- HTTP proxy servers: HTTP proxy servers are used to filter and cache HTTP requests.
- SOCKS proxy servers: SOCKS proxy servers are used to filter and cache all types of network traffic.
Proxy servers can be used by individuals, businesses, and organizations. Individuals may use proxy servers to improve their privacy and security, or to access blocked content. Businesses may use proxy servers to improve the performance of their networks, or to protect their employees from malicious websites. Organizations may use proxy servers to improve the security of their networks, or to provide a single point of control for managing access to the internet.
Proxy servers are a powerful tool that can be used to improve the performance, security, and privacy of your network. For full explanation on proxy servers and their uses, please check out wikipedias definition it’s fairly comprehensive.